LambdaGeneration Community Join our new Community Platform — Share Half-Life news and community content. Built by fans, for fans.
We Are The Lambda Generation. LambdaGeneration is a website dedicated to the video game Half-Life. ( We're basically really passionate about crowbars, headcrabs and anyone who has goatee with a PhD in theoretical physics… )

Road to Gamescom

Discussion & Analysis Valve

Valve is once again attending Gamescom, Europe’s largest gaming trade fair, which takes place on August 13th-17th at the Koelnmesse exhibition center in Cologne, Germany.

As in recent years, they’ll be set up in the Business Hall, so there will be no public access to Valve’s booth.

LambdaGeneration confirmed this in an email to Valve’s Doug Lombardi earlier, who said that there will be no press or public showings planned this year and only business related meetings will be taking place.

But that still begs the question, what will Valve be doing there?

Road to Gamescom

So what is Valve exhibiting?

On Gamescom’s website they’re listed as Platform – PC, Components / Accessories – Controllers. In other words, Steam Machines and the Steam Controller.

Officially, these hardware projects, especially the Steam Controller are looking like they will be delayed until 2015 for official release, but that hasn’t stopped the likes of Alienware in moving ahead with their plans to release their own Steam Machine this year, with a custom Windows 8.1 UI and Xbox 360 controller included.

What would we like to see?

An update on the TV and movie content for Steam/SteamOS would be nice, since In-home Streaming, Library Sharing and Family Options are now publicly released with Steam Music still in open beta.

In addition, some sort of central hub for their Steam Machine partners, which they can update themselves. A convenient place to browse all available and upcoming Steam Machines would make sense as more are becoming available all the time, for example, Maingear recently released their ‘Spark’ small form factor gaming PC which supports Valve’s SteamOS beta.

What would you like to see Valve realistically announce at this year’s Gamescom?
Let us known in the comments!

My name is Nils, though you might know me as supernaut. I like making informative threads on the Steam forums and I hope to bring the same magic to LambdaGeneration.

3 Comments

1. It would be nice to hear something about Source 2 and possibilities to license their new engine by third-parties.

2. Commenter AvatarDarK_St3alth vas Qwib QwibAugust 12th 2014 at 2:54am

What about Ricochet 2?

3. I think everybody knows what we want them to annouce. Half Life 3/Portal 3 :3

Leave a reply

Sign in via Steam to skip spam and contact fields.