LambdaGeneration Community Join our new Community Platform — Share Half-Life news and community content. Built by fans, for fans.
We Are The Lambda Generation. LambdaGeneration is a website dedicated to the video game Half-Life. ( We're basically really passionate about crowbars, headcrabs and anyone who has goatee with a PhD in theoretical physics… )

Dr. Breen – 6 Things to Consider About Our Silver-Tongued Foe

Discussion & Analysis Half-Life

Did Breen truly believe joining the Combine would advance the human race? Or was he merely doing his best to save the species from extinction? We may never know. Or maybe we will… We investigate this enigma in an attempt to bring new theories to light.

Dr. Breen – 6 Things to Consider About Our Silver-Tongued Foe

1. The G-Man and Breen Have a History Worth Exploring

Breen is an incredible liar. He’s silver-tongued, that’s for sure. If anything is plain to see, its that he was involved in the entire debacle right from the very start. As far as we know, he alone managed to negotiate Earth’s surrender. How and when did this happen? It’s never disclosed if Breen remained at Black Mesa during the incident, or how this negotiation occurred. We could assume that it happened after the death of the Nihilanth – but one vital clue suggests the seeds of this disaster were being sown long before it happened.

In Opposing Force, the HECU teams are being trained for the Black Mesa incident several weeks before it actually happened. This evidence of advanced planning is backed up by the appearance of the G-Man in the Opposing Force training maps. Marc comments on the canon in these expansions:

“We had a lot of conversations with Gearbox concerning the creation of Opposing Force and Blue Shift, and I supplied them with various documents that fleshed out background elements that hadn’t been woven directly into the foreground of Half-Life.”  

– Marc Laidlaw – Source: Marc Laidlaw Vault – Steam Forums

The presence of the G-Man at the HECU base goes hand in hand with his presence at Black Mesa before the disaster. There are two more subtle clues that indicate he had an extended involvement with the facility before the resonance cascade.

Ofboot10000

In Half-Life 1, just before the incident two scientists tell Gordon about the sample used:

“The Administrator is very concerned that we get a conclusive analysis of today’s sample. I gather they went to some lengths to get it.”

“Yes, but with good reason. This is a rare opportunity for us. This is the purest sample we’ve seen yet.”

– Scientists in Sector C – Half-Life 1

The lengths the scientists define in this statement could have been anything at that time, but since Episode 2’s release we now have new information. During Episode 2, Eli begins talking to Gordon about the Gman. During this dialog, he mentions that it was the G-Man who provided the sample to Black Mesa.

“You know who I’m talking about. Our mutual friend. When he bought in that crystal I knew I… I should have aborted that damn test.”

– Eli Vance – Half-Life 2 : Episode 2

This combined evidence suggests the Gman was actively working with Breen. The question is, what kind of deal was made? Did the G-Man promise Breen he’d be able to rule the world? Or did Breen really believe that the Universal Union was the way to go for humanity? Could we assume that the negotiation of Earth’s surrender happened before the incident? It’s no co-incidence that Breen ended up as Earth’s administrator.

It’s clear that the whole thing was orchestrated, long in advance. There was a deal, or a pact between the G-Man and Breen. Breen took the crystal and caused the resonance cascade. In exchange for what though?

2. Immortality

The Combine offered Breen and humanity immortality. Perhaps not in the way that Breen may have initially thought, but at the time it would have been very appealing to him and would explain why he was prepared to hand over Earth. Breen mentions this a lot during Half-Life 2 in both used and unused lines.

“First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as a species, immortality is in our reach.”
– Breen addressing citizens of City 17 – Breen Quotes

“That is our ultimate goal, after all, to move freely to the continuum to make our incipient immortality worthwhile.”
– Breen addressing Eli in Half-Life 2 – UNUSED LINES

800px-Checkpoint

The immortality Breen is speaking about probably has something to do with the transferal of consciousness to data and the replication of that data into host bodies. We know from the Breengrub transcript, that Breen had his consciousness copied as part of his pact with the Combine.

“As for myself, I believe there were several copies made. The first was made as a condition of surrender. Part of the bargain.”

“The finest minds are stored and then imprinted, replicated over and over on an endless supply of hosts.”

– Breengrub – The Breengrub transcript

In Breen’s eyes, this is the next best thing for humanity; taking the finest minds and replicating them infinitely. While this essentially offers humanity itself immortality, it doesn’t offer immortality to the individual. For example, the copied version of Breen doesn’t really know what occurred to Earth and mentions he only finds out about things through rumor.

“After that, occasional backups. And one…I believe…the last…whose memories I do not share, so I believe it lost. Or at any rate, I am not derived from that one. From this vantage, I have only rumors of how things developed.”

– Breengrub – The Breengrub transcript

As appealing as the offer may sound, the Combine always win regardless of the outcome of the contractual obligations with their ‘partners’. Once they have copied consciousness, it’s theirs forever. And it can’t be considered true immortality, as Breengrub mentions, he is alive but as his ‘data’ is copied and backed up, he loses his memories and grows mentally younger and younger essentially ending up in a null state of consciousness.

“Whoever it is shifting me, helping me leap ahead, I sense distress, futility. What’s left of me, an increasingly degenerated copy. Earlier versions. Without the wisdom of the older ones. I feel I am getting farther and farther away from myself…a standard bearer without an army…make of me what you will. Why do they keep me around? A creature that grows both more youthful and more senile at the same time.”

– Breengrub – The Breengrub transcript

3. Eli Sent Judith to Monitor Breen

The Breen/Judith relationship is never properly explained in the games. In Half-Life 2 we are shocked to discover that Judith has been collaborating with Breen and the Combine. This was a big revelation in Half-Life 2 and at the time we could assume that Breen was using Judith to spy on Eli. New evidence found in Half-Life 2 Episode 2’s files suggest that this relationship may not have been as sinister as it appeared to Freeman in Half-Life 2.

800px-D3_breen_010124

Eli has some unused lines in Episode 2 wherein he explains to Alyx how he involved Judith with Breen. His comments are intriguing:

“Stop right there, honey. I’m responsible for putting her close to Breen. She wanted to stay with us but I needed her to keep an eye on him. My biggest mistake was forgetting how persuasive he can be. Judith made some terrible choices. But she’s paid the price. She needs us Alyx.”

– Eli Vance – Half-Life 2 Episode 2 – UNUSED LINES

It’s a shame this didn’t make it into the final product, as it solidifies and confirms our alliance with Judith. It shows that she truly was mislead by Breen. She prevented Eli’s capture for as long as she could until Breen lost his patience and claimed Eli through Combine force – after Freeman had lead the Combine to him.

This sheds light on the history of Eli and Breen. A game of cat and mouse appears to have been played by the pair for a while after Black Mesa. The Combine wanted Eli for his knowledge of local teleportation. Eli spent years dodging Breen, no doubt with assistance from Judith.

Breen had a plan involving Eli. We may never know what he intended, though. Even if he was to disclose his intentions, could we trust him?

Test_chamber

To tangent briefly, what if this was all instigated by Eli? What if Eli presented the sample from the G-Man to Breen? That raises even more questions. We know that the G-Man and Eli had a relationship, because the G-Man wouldn’t have just chosen to single out Eli at the moment of the test.

“Prepare for unforeseen consequences.”

– The Gman

As seen above, Eli mentioned he had the power to cancel the test, suggesting he was being manipulated, threatened or that there was some kind of deal going on between him and the other powers at the time.

Could the G-Man have promised Eli’s and Alyx’s safety? This seems to be rather plausible and we will come back to this later in the article. The same cannot be said for Azian though – Eli’s wife. Eli briefly discusses Azian and Alyx in some unused dialogue with Gordon.

“We were living in base housing, you know. When I made it back there right before the end, I found only Alyx. She had her mother’s wedding ring in her hand, but she couldn’t tell me how she’d gotten it.”

“Those days are blank for her. Sometimes I wish it were the same for me. I can still only guess what might have happened to my wife. One of the missing. One of the millions who were lost.”

– Eli Vance – UNUSED LINES

Could we assume the Eli had to exchange Azian for Alyx?

4. Breen Knows About Gordon’s Contract

At the end of Half-Life 2, we’re given a decent view of Breen and his ideals. He goes into great detail explaining to Eli the Combine ‘Aleph’ universe and talks about sentient fauna – something that as far as we know, has been experimented with in the new narrative of Half-Life 3.

His actual comments are hard to hear during that sequence, as Gordon is only just arriving. Breen shares some interesting knowledge. A small part of this dialogue didn’t make it into the final game:

“Ooh… Eli. If only you could see what I’ve seen. You wouldn’t be so shortsighted! I have studied 36 zones beyond our own. Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where [the] dimensions intersect… Impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary!”

“….that way, Alyx and even yourself, might be able to travel to the Aleph Universe with your faculties intact.”

– Breen – Half-Life 2 – Wallace Breen Quotes

Aside from being given a small glimpse of the Combine Overworld at the end of Half-Life 2, we don’t really know much else about it. That wasn’t the biggest revelation of Half-Life 2, though.

big_1444932657_image

At the end of Half-Life 2, Breen flat out declares that he knows about Gordon’s contract.

“Fortunately, the resistance has shown it is willing to accept a new leader. And this one has proven to be a fine pawn for those who control him. How about it, Dr. Freeman? Did you realize your contract was open to the highest bidder?”

– Breen – Half-Life 2 – Wallace Breen Quotes

This statement is interesting. Breen is about to make a deal with the Combine. He is planning on trading Eli (for his knowledge of teleportation) for something else – it’s never clarified what Breen wanted. With this comment, we can only assume that Breen planned to trade Eli for Gordon, suggesting the Combine owned Gordon’s contract.

Breen knows about Gordon – more than we think he does. He mentions Gordon’s stasis to Overwatch soldiers in Nova Prospekt.

“I have good reason to believe that in the intervening years, he was in a state that precluded further development of covert skills.”

5. He’s in Way over His Head

It could be said that purely out of fear of death, Breen lied and bargained his way to the top. It is evident that he is afraid to some degree. Breen knows of the Combine temperament and occasionally scrabbles and panics when his livelihood and reputation with the Combine becomes threatened. It’s likely that Breen has a contract of his own which requires him to keep humanity abiding to Combine regulations. Throughout Half-Life 2, he makes several comments indicative of the intimidating control the Combine have over him.

When Freeman arrives in City 17, Breen immediately – and worriedly – alerts the Combine Advisors.

“The man I saw, I’m all but certain it was… Gordon Freeman.”

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 21.49.33

During his speech to the Combine soldiers in Nova Prospekt, he goes as far to mention that the Combine Advisors were starting to question Breen’s trust.

“I have been severely questioned about these shortcomings, and now must put the question to you…”

“I have done my best to convince Our Benefactors that you are the finest the species has to offer. So far they have accepted my argument, but without concrete evidence to back it up, my words sound increasingly hollow even to me.”

Towards the end of Half-Life 2, Breen reaches the realisation that with both Freeman and Eli in his hands, he could trade the Combine for anything. He even says this himself:

“Having both of you in my keeping ensures I can dictate the terms of any bargain I care to make with the Combine.”

Gordon is valuable for obvious reasons. He seems to be unstoppable. Copying his consciousness would give the Combine the ultimate army. Who’s to say the G-Man hasn’t already done this? Regardless, Breen had been after Eli for a long time.

What would Breen’s endgame be if he actually caught him without Freeman being present? What kind of bargain would Breen have made with the Combine? Local teleportation technology in exchange of complete freedom of the human race?

It sounds unlikely, but maybe Breen really was in too deep. Eli was his ticket to freedom – and survival.

6. Freeman’s Task

To grant plausibility to this next theory, we have to delve into speculation.

What if we were to assume that Freeman was deployed by the G-Man purely to prevent the trade of Eli? This grants merit to the initial theory that Eli had some kind of protection pact with the G-Man.

We know that Mossman had only recently began to become swayed by Breen’s propaganda, putting Eli at risk. She even began handing parts of Eli’s thesis to the Combine and helped them develop the rather shoddy local teleporter at Nova Prospekt.

As far as the G-Man is concerned we could assume that his motives involve preventing the Combine from acquiring local teleport technology. This also explains why he allowed Freeman to kill the Nihilanth in Half-Life 1; as we know, the Combine were closing in on the Nihilanth and were likely interested in his biological ability to teleport himself and his minions at will.

Citadel_scanners

In Half-Life 2, the G-Man deploys Freeman to prevent the sale of Eli by misdirecting Breen’s attention. Gordon, being the bigger threat and prize proved to be the perfect distraction and wasted Breen’s time, resources and soldiers.

Chaos ensued in City 17 and Eli was captured by Breen. By this stage, Breen had a plan. It’s uncertain what he wanted in return, but he was planning on trading both Eli and Gordon for something. Essentially he could trade them both for anything he desired.

Freeman ultimately prevented that trade by killing Breen and destroying the dark energy reactor at the top of the Citadel. Eli and Judith were most likely extracted by Vortigaunts or, more plausibly, the G-Man. That was where Gordon’s mission ended.

D3_breen_010010

As he plunges to his assumed death, he shouts:

“No! You need me!”

– Breen – Half-Life 2 – Wallace Breen Quotes

Breen bargained right until the very end. Marc Laidlaw commented on his final words:

“He could be talking to Gordon or the Combine…or maybe both. Anyway, he’s bargaining.”

– Marc Laidlaw – Source: Marc Laidlaw Vault – Steam Forums

750px-D3_breen_010045

Maybe we will meet him again, someday.

This article is an instalment of our Half-Life Lore series on LambdaGeneration, written by Half-Life fanatic and Source mapper Jonathan Richardson aka Breadman.

If you found this interesting, you can read all of the articles in this series here. You can also follow us on Twitter for future content @LambdaGen.

Article Sources

Various images sourced from Combine Overwiki.
Information and other quotes from Marc Laidlaw Vault on Steam User’s Forums

7 Comments

1. Yo! Just a thought: What if the Advisor we see in Episode 2 as the ‘leader’ is a more recent copy of Breen? It makes the scene in the Silo watching the Advisor as the blast doors close all the more sinister.

2. There’s concept art in Raising the Bar (a book which I do not own :P) that shows Breen at the base of a radio tower, wearing a headset, while a dropship flies overheard. That’s supposedly how he negotiated surrender.

3. Very neat and interesting article I defiantly learned something new about lore. Thanks 🙂

4. This is amazing series, I like the articles very much and happy to still learn something new about lore. Thank you!

5. These series deserve to be made into a video series too. Pretty please? <3

• Hey Fram, would love to make this into a video series. Sadly we don’t have the time or resources on top of managing the site right now to do it, maybe someday though!

If anyone would be interested in volunteering to work on a video series for this lore content, get in touch [email protected] 🙂

Leave a reply

Sign in via Steam to skip spam and contact fields.