LambdaGeneration Community Join our new Community Platform — Share Half-Life news and community content. Built by fans, for fans.
We Are The Lambda Generation. LambdaGeneration is a website dedicated to the video game Half-Life. ( We're basically really passionate about crowbars, headcrabs and anyone who has goatee with a PhD in theoretical physics… )

New Unbelievable 19-Minute HL: Opposing Force Speedrun Sets World Record

Community & Projects Half-Life

I tend to think of myself as an average to high-skill player. I’m not the best, but I’m pretty good at most games I play, and I’m pretty damn terrific at some of them. I won’t name any of them, because some of them have leaderboards, and when it comes to my high scores, I don’t even trust my own grandmother. But when I see shit like this, then I start feeling inadequate. It’s like the locker room all over again.

Quadrazid, the master of Half-Life speedrunning, has done it again. On two (this is the first, and this is the second) separate occasions, we’ve chronicled his Herculean feats of pure… hopping around like a mutant chipmunk on Red Bull and cocaine. This time, he’s tackled a full speedrun of Gearbox’s Half-Life: Opposing Force. Clocking in at 19 minutes and 23 seconds (beating Blake “Spider-Waffle” Piepho‘s previous OF speedrun, which clocked in at 23 minutes and 9 seconds), this is now the world record for all Opposing Force speedruns to come… assuming anyone’s gonna have the courage to try and beat this time. A large number of segments, scripts, and exploits are used to ensure maximum speed is achieved.

More info can be found at the SourceRuns thread on the run.

Yeaaaaah. I don’t know what to say. Well done, Quad, well done. He’s also gonna be doing a new segmented speedrun of the original Half-Life in the future. He’s aiming for a 24-25 minute world record – and we wish him luck! If he gets it, that means he’ll be the owner of all world records for the entire HL1 series (together with rayvex, who performed the Blue Shift speedrun together with Quad).

The guys at SourceRuns are also cranking away at a new run of HL2 – except they’ll be doing it old-school, with a whole team of speedrunners working on the thing. They’ll even be doing it on the current version of HL2, using the Source 2009 engine, so we applaud them for that. They’re also aiming for a new world record, but it’s very much a work in progress at this point. We wish them best of luck as well!

15 Comments

1. This is the best op4 speedrun I have ever seen….
    Quad is pretty good isn’t he?

2. I’ve got the feelin that i waste to much time enjoying a game…

3. The most awesome speedrun of a game I ever seen.

4. Why is it so astounding if he used scripts, etc? I guess it would still be hard to do, but it’s more an intellectual skill than fast reflexes, isn’t it?

5. God, it took me hours to get through some of these parts, it took him like 5 seconds, it must’ve taken a shitload of practice to get this good.

6. What game is this???

7. Is this done using no mods at all? How’d he skip though the electric gate near the start??

8. LEVEL: ASIAN

Leave a reply

Sign in via Steam to skip spam and contact fields.